Church IT & other technology. Lessons from a one man IT show.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Goodbye PDA - Hello Smartphone


Slashdot The Future of the PDA
I know people have been talking about the death of the PDA for quite a while. Sony's been out of the market for a while, and there are less and less options out there for a stand alone PDA. I finally dumped the Toshiba e355 Pocket PC this weekend for a T-Mobile SDA. Finally, I've got my phone, PDA & digital camera in one device. I can now say I really love this thing, although it's taken me several days to get there. I owe it only to my ignorance, but figuring out the Bluetooth connection for ActiveSync was a pain in the butt.
Now that everything's syncing and surfing, I'm really impressed - WiFi, Bluetooth, digital camera, etc etc etc, and it's smaller than my old flip phone. It feels rock solid, the battery life is great and the call quality has been excellent. My only complaint is the cramped keyboard layout. I understand they had to pack it all in to a tiny form factor. But I would prefer losing the dedicated Media Player buttons, which I never use, in favor of less dainty navigation & number keys. That being said, it's a tiny negative that I'm already getting used to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home